Tuesday 9 February 2010

The Dollhouse Memorial List - Top 5 Cancelled TV Shows

As Jonny has pointed out so well in his rather fabulous article, we said goodbye to yet another Joss Whedon show. Instead of grieving, we should celebrate! And how do we celebrate best? With lists! So here are my top five TV shows cancelled before their time.

5) Star Trek (1966-9)

What with the mass success in spin-off series, motion pictures, t-shirts, video games, action figures and fake languages, it's easy to forget that the originally series of Star Trek was axed after only three seasons. It had to pilot twice for Christ's sake! It has to be said however, I'm not a huge fan of TOS; it hasn't dated terribly well, the episodes are usually over-long and still underdeveloped, however, it does has a wonderful energy about it that some of its successors don't. Where as some later sci-fi shows took themselves a bit too seriously, I don't think that comment can ever be aim at the original Star Trek. Also, I don't think we'll a show do so well out of being cancelled. Even Friends couldn't get a spin-off to work, Star Trek has four (official ones at least - we'll never be able to count the fan made features).


4) Clerks: The Animated Series (2000)

My bizarre up-down relationship with Kevin Smith continues! Back in the days when Mr Smith could do no wrong in my eyes (1994-2004), ABC played two episodes of Clerks: TAS before cancelling it. This would make sense if the, for lack of a better word, colourful language of the feature film was brought to life in glorious cartoon form, but it wasn't. Instead, the show plays like a mash-up of Kim Possible and other later Disney TV series, combined with the, albeit tamed, familiar humour from the View Askew films. In fact, the extent to which this show is child-friend almost adds to the surrealness. There is no swearing, no adult situations, even New Jersey's favourite dope dealers, Jay & Silent Bob don't peddle drugs but rather illegal fireworks. Six episodes is really not enough, especially when considering that everyone seems on the top of their game here - the animation is top notch, Smith's writing has rarely been better or more satirical (although that may have something to do with the inclusion of ex-Seinfeld scribe David Mandel) and the voice cast hit all the right notes. The show makes me nostalgic for things that could have been. Had Jeff Anderson and Kevin Smith not had a huge falling out after Clerks, imagine what else they could have done together! Anderson's deft comic ability is just incredible, had they not fallen out, this man could have been Jason Lee. Think about it. Also, look out for Alec Baldwin's turn as the Clerks' nemesis, Leonardo Leonardo.


3) Arrested Development (2003-6)
Okay, I'm sure Jonny's going to put this down as well, but screw him! I'm my own man and I'll put it down if I want to! *ahem* The fact is that I don't believe there has ever been a more talented ensemble cast for a comedic television show. Even further than that, there have been few shows as sharply and consistently written then Arrested Development. Its ability to be simultaneously topical and irrelevant is something to be in awe of, but more impressive is the very subtle foreshadowing of major plot points, ultimately making each repeat viewing surprisingly fresh. It may have launched the one-role career of Michael Cera, but how could I not forgive it? In terms of quality, this should probably be further up my list but, to be honest, after three (well, two and a half) seasons, it feels incredibly well wrapped up. Sure, there are probably more laughs to be had with the Bluth family, but there are other shows out there that deserved more of a chance to shine.


2) My So-Called Life (1994-5)
Like this for instance. With all respect to John Hughes, his films never had the emotional resonance with me that they did for many other people. I didn't get through my teenage years with the Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller. Instead, I had My So-Called Life. I'm not going to pretend that I went to a high school with a gun problem or had friends that were living on the streets, the plot of the episodes are almost a secondary feature. The main event, as it were, is the accurate portrayal of teenage emotions. Like Angela Chase, I grew up in a really stable household and also like her, I sometimes wanted to find faults with it - what teenager doesn't? But having revisited the show since those heady days, what really sticks out is how trivial really everything is. Listening to Angela, her biggest problems are on the whole silly in retrospect but, like many of my teenage problems, seemed so important at the time. After one season, I'd just fallen in love with all the characters (even Brian), but there was no conclusion to the story, no closure. Ironically, it may even be better that way, but one more visit to Chase's house should have happened.


1) Twin Peaks (1990-1)
What can I say that hasn't all ready been said, spun backwards, phonetically recited and then spun backwards again. All I'm going to say is that this show was heading to an explosive third season: How much damage will Bob do? Will the town folk stop him? Will Agent Cooper ever be free? What could have been a great good versus evil showdown never happened - even the feature film spin off looked backwards. Oh Diane, will we never see those wonderful trees again? Take it away, Man from Another Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment